What is a Checkout Page?
Definition and Meaning
A checkout page is pretty much all in the name: on a business’s website, it’d be the page(s) that pertain to the customer’s completion of a purchase. It’s sort of like the checkout line at a department store, although online customers usually jump through multiple hurdles in order to complete their purchase.
Occasionally, businesses will provide all the necessary information on one page, and you can complete your order without having to jump to another tab. On the flip side, other businesses will have a multi-page checkout process. These methods have their own benefits and disadvantages, and it’s up to you to determine which strategy pairs best with your e-commerce business.
What’s a One-Page Checkout Page?
Now that we’ve answered the question of “what is a checkout page,” it’s time to dive into the specific types. The one-page checkout is fairly common, as many businesses are hoping that customers will complete their purchase as quickly as possible. Instead of having to visit multiple pages, customers can enter all their information and confirm their purchase without having to visit another window.
The one-page checkout also has some psychological advantages. When customers are closer to completing their purchase, they have more motivation. When they have to navigate through multiple pages, there’s a chance that they won’t be as inclined to complete the process. Plus, the one-page process is a whole lot easier to navigate than the alternative. Ultimately, while it doesn’t play the biggest role, customers are happier when the process isn’t convoluted.
What’s a Multi-Page Checkout Page?
This is the checkout process that requires customers to navigate through multiple screens before they complete their purchase. This methodology isn’t as common as the one-page checkout, as there’s a general belief that customers abandon their cart when they have extra time to think about their impending purchase.
On the flip side, there are several benefits that accompany the multi-page checkout:
- It’s easier for a company to collect data when the collection process is divided into multiple steps
- Can remedy the issue of customers abandoning their cart; if you asked for their email from the get-go, you can follow up with them later.
- They’re easier to design, as your team won’t be required to cram a whole lot of entry fields into a single page.
What Are Other Tips for a Successful Checkout Page?
Regardless of which method you end up opting for, there are a number of strategies that you should keep in mind as you’re designing your site’s checkout page:
- Grab your customer’s email as soon as possible. In the event that they abandon their cart, this is your only way of trying to guide them back to the checkout page.
- Remove any distracting images or text is another notable strategy, as this allows customers to better focus on their impending purchase.
- Make the process as quick and simple as possible. Even if you’re going to roll with the multi-page checkout, you can still do your part in minimizing those inevitable hassles.
Do I Need a Checkout Page for My Shop?
Naturally, after learning the answer to “what is a checkout page,” you’re going to be wondering whether you’ll need that function for your Shop. Well, you’ll be happy to know that you don’t! Spreadshop already provides these basic e-commerce functions, allowing you to focus on designing and marketing.
If you have an external marketplace, then a checkout page is essentially a requirement. If you want to make sales, you’ll need to provide your customers with an outlet where they can deliver all of the essential ordering information. Without this page… well, customers won’t be able to buy something. It’s really as simple as that.
Quickly integrate your Spreadshop into your website with these easy-to-use plugins.
Looking to take your Spreadshop offline? If you need shirts for an upcoming convention or event, Merchpacks can satisfy your needs.
Premium Design Service
You don't need to be artistic to open a Shop. Rely on our Premium Design Service to make your dream a reality.